Chilly weater is tough on a car battery. Cold temperatures impact the power the battery provides. Batteries that are not properly maintained may fail. No one wants to get stuck with a dead car battery on a very cold day. Consider the following tips to keep your car battery strong.
- If you notice any issues, have them resolved immediately. If the car takes a few times to start or seems slow to start, those are both indications of a potential issue. Don't ignore these warning signs.
- Drive your vehicle on a regular basis throughout the winter. If you will be going away for an extended period of time, consider asking a friend or family member to run the engine once a week.
- When you exit your vehicle, be sure you are not leaving electronic accessories on. These will drain the battery when the car is not running. In addition to verifying that your lights are off, unplug the GPS, DVD player and cell phone.
- Make sure the battery is properly secured so it doesn't jiggle while you are driving. This will prevent damage of the battery. Also verify that the cables are properly tightened.
- Clean the battery terminals so corrosion, grease and/or dirt won’t reduce the energy flow. Battery terminals can be cleaned with a wire brush while wearing eye protection and gloves.
- If your battery is three to five years old, consider bringing it in for a test. If the battery is weak, consider replacing it. Although a weak battery may work fine during warmer months, a weak battery may not start in the winter.
- If possible, park your car in a protected environment like a garage. This will keep the car at a slightly higher temperature and will protect the vehicle from winter weather.
Following the above tips will reduce the chance that your car battery will fail in the cold weather. However, you should still be prepared for being stuck in case another issue arises. Equip yourself with a quality auto insurance policy, some of which come with roadside assistance.
We’ve got you covered. Call Americo Direct Insurance at 214-374-9997 for more information on Arlington auto insurance.